SAND Design
untitled.103.jpg

'C-Flat' Flat-Pack Cabin

'C-Flat' is a collaborative project between myself and 'Out of the Valley' in Exeter. The project is an inital research and development stage in developing a flat pack cabin design which could be modified by the user through the 'Out of The Valley' website. 

In Jacks Car.jpg
Inside Ruperts Workshop.jpg
I began this project by visiting Out of the Valleys HQ in exeter and owner Rupert Mckelvie. We disscussed the following design constraints with the project:

I began this project by visiting Out of the Valleys HQ in exeter and owner Rupert Mckelvie. We disscussed the following design constraints with the project:

 

Adapt Innovative joinery solution to allow the cabin to be flatpack

Use an exciting and sustainable insulation material

Be open to customisation by the users via the Out of the Valley website

Make use of CNC routing manufacture and nesting techniques to minimise material waste

Inital Sketches Inverted (With Backdrop).jpg
Joinery Sketches.jpg
After generating some concepts I decided to look into open source building plans for cabins and shelters. This lead me to Shelter 2.0, an open source design by IKEA

After generating some concepts I decided to look into open source building plans for cabins and shelters. This lead me to Shelter 2.0, an open source design by IKEA

After producing a scale model of Shelter 2.0 I realised how much the design relied on weight to keep it stable. However, the slotting system used is something I want to impliment in my design

After producing a scale model of Shelter 2.0 I realised how much the design relied on weight to keep it stable. However, the slotting system used is something I want to impliment in my design

First Cabin Prototype as a whole.jpg
Producing my own model from sketches, using the slotting system. The design should occupy a range from 2 - 6 people. I began to 'HACK' the model, giving me the smallest area for a 2 person occupancy

Producing my own model from sketches, using the slotting system. The design should occupy a range from 2 - 6 people. I began to 'HACK' the model, giving me the smallest area for a 2 person occupancy

'Hacked' Model.jpg
bolt model front.jpg
I then began to explore how to attach the external panels to the shell. Initally looking at a nut and bolt solution to this, shortly realising they produced a bulky asethtic to my scale model.

I then began to explore how to attach the external panels to the shell. Initally looking at a nut and bolt solution to this, shortly realising they produced a bulky asethtic to my scale model.

Glued protype.jpg
To making a crisp model, I decided to use woodglue to allow me to produce an accurate scale model of what the cabin could look like. This model was later used in the final exhibition at the Poly

To making a crisp model, I decided to use woodglue to allow me to produce an accurate scale model of what the cabin could look like. This model was later used in the final exhibition at the Poly

untitled.103.jpg
Info Graphic of Research.jpg